Tony is one of the firm’s senior technical “tax gurus” consulted when the most complex issues are up for interpretation. He uses his deep knowledge to educate his colleagues and his clients, distilling extremely technical and difficult concepts so a layman or fellow tax guru can understand and apply them. Tony’s knack for educating clients in a way that’s comfortable for them empowers them to make well-reasoned decisions for their businesses.
Tony specializes in research and planning related to federal taxation of partnerships, limited liability companies and S Corporations; mergers and acquisitions; federal tax accounting methods; and incentive credits, such as new markets, historical and advanced energy tax credits. His 40-plus years of expertise are most often applied to the real estate, private equity and hedge fund, and manufacturing and distribution industries. Tony also has spent his career focused on lowering the tax liabilities of closely held companies and their owners, including both partners and passive owners. Additionally, Tony’s tenure as a professor of federal tax accounting methods has provided him with an in-depth knowledge of public company accounting issues that can be applied to many private, middle-market clients.
- Partnership Tax Technical Group
- Cleveland State University (CSU) Foundation (Audit Committee, Past Chair)
- CSU Alumni Association (Past President)
- CSU Accounting Department Advisory Board (Past Chairman)
- CSU Master of Accountancy Program (Adjunct Professor)
- American Institute of CPAs and Ohio Society of CPAs
- August edition of AICPA Tax Adviser’s “Tax Clinic” since 2001 (Editor)
- Frequent speaker at various CPE qualified technical forums, including the Cleveland Tax Institute, The University of Akron’s National Tax Institute and OSCPA programs
- Author of various articles on taxation and tax planning
- Former board member and/or officer of the Tax Club of Cleveland and International Fiscal Association
Tony loves sports and is a committed Browns and CSU Viking basketball fan. He’s also a regular in the shark-diving circles of the Caribbean Islands (and recommends night diving to discover the best creatures). Tony and his wife live in Broadview Heights, Ohio, but secretly hope to someday retire to an island with Jimmy Buffet as their neighbor.