The Best Defense is a Proactive One
We believe the best defense is a proactive one, planning strategically for residency status before an audit is on the table. Our clients — high-net-worth individuals, closely held business and their advisers — who engage with us at the outset of residency changes, employment changes, stock and equity payouts, M&A transactions, and large lump sum distributions or liquidity events generally have exceptionally better outcomes than those who wait until an audit is underway. It is imperative to receive advice in the moment, rather than after the fact. Failing to seek timely advice on minimizing tax consequences could, in many cases, result in significant dollars lost.
Our team of former tax auditors has handled thousands of tax controversy matters, giving us a unique perspective to analyze a case from both perspectives. Based on your risk tolerance, we can advise from a best-to-worst case scenario and find a result that fits you best. There is no one-size-fits-all approach, and our team is here to support you and your advisers as much or as little as you need.
One of the defining ways we can help minimize unintended tax consequences of residency and income allocation rules is through our extensive knowledge and use of technology. We use historical cell site information and location tracking and travel logging systems — versus handwritten calendars and credit card receipts — to monitor your real-time locations. We focus on taking the hassle and stress away from you and your administrative team, allowing you to focus on other important areas in your life.
- Residency changes, both domestic and international
- Statutory residency, workday allocation and physical presence monitoring via GPS applications and historic cell site information
- 548-day tax planning and 30-day tax planning (for certain states)
- Personal residence cost basis and audit defense
- Multi-state tax optimization at entity and individual levels
- Pass-through entity tax guidance
- Tax research
- Transaction tax planning
- Transaction due diligence
- State and local tax services
- Sales tax refund reviews
- Analysis of state and local tax credits and incentives
- Nexus studies