People don’t usually put the words “accountant” and “creative” in the same sentence. Mike, however, is not a typical accountant. He offers clients his ability to blend 40 tax seasons of knowledge with a strategic mind to develop specific, unique and compliant solutions for his clients.
The majority of Mike’s services is concentrated on advising closely held business owners on complex tax and business issues. He has honed his tax-planning expertise to help a variety of entities achieve their income tax, merger and acquisition, estate tax and business succession goals. Mike also has expertise in the areas of hedge funds and private equity.
- Former Partner-in-Charge of Cohen & Company's Tax Practice
- American Institute of CPAs and Ohio Society of CPAs (Former Director)
- Leadership Akron (Class of 1998)
- Leadership Ohio (Class of 1996)
- Accounting Professional of the Year, Case Western Reserve University
- Accounting Professional of the Year, The University of Akron
- Crain’s Cleveland Business 40 under 40 award
- Distinguished Alumni Hall of Fame at West Geauga High School (Inaugural class)
- Author of various articles for Taxation for Accountants, Taxation for Lawyers, The Tax Advisor and Inside Family Business
- Speaker at numerous tax institutes, seminars, and radio and television programs
- Former board member and/or officer of Leadership Akron, Greater Akron Chamber, Akron Tax and Estate Planning Council, Akron General Hospital, Downtown Akron Partnership, Weaver Industries, The University of Akron Advancement Council, Case Western Reserve Accountancy Department Advisory Board and various other organizations.
A former member of the Case Western Reserve University Basketball Team, Mike still enjoys the occasional game of basketball. But his most recent passion has become cycling, riding thousands of miles annually, especially on the Ohio and Erie Canal Towpath, the Great Allegheny Passage and numerous other cycling trail networks. Additionally, Mike has quite an extensive license plate collection, dating back to 1906. Mike and his wife reside in Copley, Ohio, and are the proud parents of two adult children.